Get ‘r done! That used to be my motto! My cupboards were organized. My house was cleaned. Me…I was fairly miserable most of the time. I would have told you I loved Jesus, but my face sure didn’t show it! What it did show was stress! My days were all about how much I could get done in as little time as possible. My biggest joy…crossing things off my list.
That is…before my car crash! If you haven’t had a chance to read this story, please pop over to Proverbs 31 Ministries Encouragement for Today to catch up. Since this episode in my life, my new mantra is “slower is better”. What have I gained? More time for the truly important things.
Here are some of the things I’ve gained by slowing down:
* I’ve gained making my kids a healthy breakfast and lunch before they wake up. As they eat their breakfast, I read God’s word to them. In the past, I was busy cleaning up the kitchen so I could move on to the next thing. Now, the dishes wait so I can invest in my kids.
* I’ve gained an afterschool small group for my daughter and four of her girlfriends. Currently, we’re going through “His Revolutionary Love” together. (There is a free leadership and additional free resources here on my website if you want to do that too!). In the past, I was too busy getting supper ready. Now, supper can wait so I can share with my girl and her friends how Jesus is crazy about them.
* I say “yes” to sitting down for afterschool snacks at the table, even if they are in high school!
* I say “yes” to praying with my girls before they go to bed, even when I’m exhausted.
* I say “yes” to smoothies, coffees and walks with my girls, trying to find new ways to engage them in conversation.
These are the things I’ve gained by slowing down. Are there things I miss? Yes. I miss the prestine toliet and floors I can eat off of . But time is going fast; there will be plenty of time for that later. In four short years, I will have all the time I want as my last child heads off to college. For now, I’m going to slow down for happy.
Today, I’m giving away a copy of Glynnis Whitwer’s new book, “I Used to Be So Organized: Help for Regaining Order and Peace” to one blessed person! Glynnis’s book has helped me again to take a look at my schedule and reevaluate the current things in my life. She walked me through my schedule; helping me to once again know what to say “yes” to and what to say “no” to so that I can slow down for happy!
For a chance to win this amazing book, just click on “comments” below and share with us why you need this book. (And if you are too busy investing in your kids right now, just say “I’m in”!) Be sure to stop back by on Monday; I’ll announce the winner then!