The Forgiveness I Need
*Welcome to those of you joining me from Proverbs 31 Ministries’ Encouragement for Today devotion Where’s the Hope? (If you haven’t read or listened to the devotion (our brand new feature) click here.)
Maybe you could relate when I shared in today’s devotion:
“We are trained that “success” and “failure” all come down to someone. Someone gets the credit, and someone takes the blame.”
I have wrestled this thing down for my entire life, for success and failure, have been linked to my biggest weakness: performance. It is only as I draw closer to Jesus that I am able to see the truth:
There is One who gets the credit and who took the blame.
Do You Know Jesus Christ?
Many have heard of Jesus and know a little about Him.
Many sing songs about His birth at Christmas and know that Easter commemorates His resurrection. Some think of Him as a teacher or perhaps the founder of a major world religion. But, do you know Him personally? Do you know that Jesus died and rose again, not to start a spiritual movement but because He loves you and wanted to provide a way for you to know Him?
The Bible tells the story of God’s love for people. In the beginning, God created us to reflect His image and to have a relationship with Him (Genesis 1:27). We were created good, and then sin entered the world. We essentially chose to try life on our own without God, instead of living our lives for God as we were designed.
God loves us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to pay the price for our sins and bring us into a relationship with Him. Through Him, we can know the promise of eternal life and experience the joy of knowing God here on earth!
If you would like to have a relationship with God, the Bible tells us that the first step is acknowledging that we have sinned and that there is nothing we can do to earn God’s love (Romans 3:23-26). Next, we believe and confess that Jesus is Lord (Romans 10:9) and allow Him to guide our lives. Where we once wanted to control our own futures, we now invite Jesus into our hearts to be Lord over our lives.
Knowing God’s peace, perspective, and purpose for your life begins with a personal relationship with Jesus.
Would you like to accept Jesus as Lord of your life?
FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO A NEW LIFE WITH JESUS
- God’s purpose is life and peace: God desires for you to have life and peace now and for all eternity.”I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10b
- Recognizing the problem: sin and separation: We were created to know, love and glorify God. When we choose to go our own way, living life in willful disobedience to God, we are choosing to be separated from God both now and for all eternity. The Bible says we are sinners…“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23 But God is love…“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 And God is also just…“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23
- We cannot save ourselves: Because God is Holy, He cannot allow sin to enter into Heaven. Most people attempt to save themselves by their own efforts, good works or church attendance. The Bible says…“There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.” Proverbs 14:12 How then can a sinful person enter Heaven where God allows no sin?
- We are saved by grace: The good news is… in spite of our sin, Christ died for us.“For it is by grace you have been saved through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not of works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9” But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
- Responding to God’s gift by faith: “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
“But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions — it is by grace you have been saved.” Ephesians 2:4-5
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ACCEPT JESUS AS LORD OF YOUR LIFE, YOU CAN PRAY THE FOLLOWING PRAYER:
Lord, I confess that I have sinned against You and ask You to forgive me. I’m sorry that my sin has hurt You and other people in my life. I acknowledge that I could never earn salvation by my good works, but I come to You and trust in what Jesus did for me on the cross.
I believe that You love me and that Jesus died and rose again so that I can be forgiven and come to know You. I ask You to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I trust You with everything, and I thank You for loving me so much that I can know You here on earth and spend the rest of eternity with You in heaven.
In Jesus name,
What do I do now?
Just like a new baby needs to be cared for and nurtured in order to grow physically, a child of God needs to be nurtured in order to grow spiritually. Here’s how you can begin growing in Christ:
- Tell someone: Tell a pastor or Christian friend who will help you grow and find your gifts of service. “So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up.” Ephesians 4:11, 12
- Be baptized: This is your first act of obedience. “So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.” Acts 10:48
- Join the church: The church is where God’s family encourages and supports one another.”How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!” Psalm 133:1
- Pray and read your Bible daily: God communicates His will for your life through His Word and prayer.”Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105
- Seek a godly mentor: A mentor teaches you the ways of God and how to live a holy life. “Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.” Titus 2:3 *** Shared from Proverbs 31 Ministries Do You Know Jesus?
If you have begun a new relationship with Jesus today, I would love to celebrate with you!
Please share here in the comments below or email me at Lynn@LynnCowell.com!
Thank you for your beautiful devotion this morning I could relate so much to the success and failure aspect and it is so humbling to be reminded of the sacrifices He made for us even though we didn’t deserve it!
Yes it is! We have so very much to be grateful for, Charmari!
Hey my name is Ashley Egan and I have been wanting for a while to rededicate my life to Jesus. So I began my new relationship and just prayed the prayer above for him to come into my heart and lead my life. I also asked to be forgiven of my sins. I have been an addict for 10 yrs now and 9 mths is the most clean time I have collected at one time in those 10 years. And that I have only been able to do twice. So I have really been thinking,praying and talking to other Christians about getting back my relationship with the Lord and how that I can now see that He is the only one that can really help me to change from here on out. I have always believed in God and was raised in a family that went to church every Wednesday and Sunday. But over the years and even more so, through my addiction I have fallen short at being alot of things including, a very good Christian. But today I am born again in Christ And I am so excited to start this new chapter of my life with Jesus as my mentor.
Thanks for helping me and please pray for me to live life the way Jesus would want me to.
I prayed for you! Remember – God is with you always. Be still and wait on Him. He already knows your path – so remember- Gods Got This!
I am so happy for you Ashley! You are in my thoughts and prayers!D Praise God!
Oh Ashley – what a joy to wake up to your news this morning! Thank you, powerful God!
As I read your comment, I heard a voice coming through that sounded a lot like my own voice, especially when you said, “I have fallen short at being a lot of things including, a very good Christian.” We all have, Ashley! Here is what the Holy Spirit is teaching me – just be. Don’t work so hard, but focus on just being with Jesus. In His word each day, talking to Him in prayer each day. The more we learn to just be with Him, the less doing we’ll have to do. He has done it for us and when we draw close to Him, we reach that power!
I’m going to email you so we can stay in touch … so if you don’t hear from me, would you please email me at Lynn@LynnCowell.com? (It might mean the email got sent to your junk).
YAHOOOOOOO JESUS! THANK YOU!
Hi Ashley, please find a local Celebrate Recovery. It would be a Christian support/addiction recovery source and its free. These are in churches all around the nation.
Yes the Lord is forgiving and loving!
I too was lost and then found and saved by the love of our Father in Heaven. I love reading your devotionals. They help me feel His love more each day. Thank you so much.
I LOVE reading the bible and learning more about our Father. God bless you and thank you. I share this with my friends and others…….God’s love is GOOD ALL THE TIME EACH AND EVERYDAY!!
PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME.??
He is so very, very good!