Today’s Wednesday Wisdom Tip actually doesn’t come from me. The source is my husband Greg.
Here is what he tells my kids…often:
What you see is what you’ll get.
When they talk about a new guy, Greg asks questions:
1. What do you know about his relationship with Christ?
2. Does he have a job?
3. How does he treat and/or talk about his parents?
4. How does he spend his free time?
5. Does he like football? (OK, lots of times this one is first!)
When their dad digs around with these types of questions, he’s trying to get them to see past the cute face and the flirty smile. He always ends the conversation with the same reminder: what you see is what you’ll get.
What ever she sees in this boy, be it:
* a strong relationship with Jesus or lack of
* motivation or laziness
* respect or disrespect
These are all traits she will see more of the longer she knows him. They might improve or weaken some with time, but the foundation of his character is set.
In fact, my friend Kelly took it one step further today: what you see now is all prettied up. The best it’s going to get.
Take some time today to teach your girl how to look for and spot good character, even at a young age. You’ll both be glad you did!